Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Food Commies

Scott recently reintroduced meat into his diet.  I'm still mulishly scarfing down vegetables and cinnamon buns, but Scott's carnivorous dabbling is not by any means a coup of vegetarian values (which in my particular case, and I believe Scott's, are the environmental harms and squandering of resources of the meat and dairy industry.)

Scott spoke about his interest in consuming minimal meat as a way of decentralizing his meals, departing from the presidential pork, the monolithic mutton.  The phrase "meat and potatoes" itself has come to signify the real and important.  The obvious implication of "meat and potatoes" is that the greens, the fruits, the grains, are dismissible.  I am definitely on board with a communist style of eating, by which I mean the salad is as much the main course as the steak.  (If you were to dole out portions according to weight, think of how much more space on your dinner plate would be occupied by raw spinach than a piece of meat.)

For the time being, I'm still not eating meat.  I have eaten cheese and butter all along, which is part of the same industry and so similarly culpable.  At least for now, cheese and butter will be my concession, like Scott's occasional bacon strip.  Ideologically, I applaud veganism.  But come on people, cheese?  How can someone give up the only food that can claim responsibility for the coinage of MELTY?

No comments: