Friday, June 20, 2008

"Did You Bring Your Xanax?"

I opened a bottle of Merlot on Monday and have been nursing it all week, experimenting with having a glass with (I almost typed for) lunch like they do in Italy and France.  I don't normally buy wine, particularly not the lately unfashionable Merlot, but Scott's parents bought some bottles during their recent visit and donated everything the couldn't finish to us.  (This includes tortilla chips and party napkins decorated with flamingoes).

I've gotten tipsy having my single glass of wine and been suspicious that I'm over-pouring.  So tonight I looked up the official portion (5 oz.) in one glass of wine and measured out my Merlot in a pyrex bowl.  I'm a diehard romantic.

I drank my 5 oz. leisurely with dinner but I still got tipsy, so the scientific findings are that I'm just a lightweight.

For interested parties, a chemical produced by fermenting grape skins, called resveratrol, is supposed to be really good for your heart.  Wikipedia claims that resveratrol exerts a positive influence on many of the "GENETIC LEVERS" of aging, which is a fantastic phrase I plan to inject into conversations apropos of nothing.  Levers being pronounced how the British say it, like LEE-vers.

No comments: