You can find this recipe with small changes on VegWeb. I made my own tahini by toasting hulled sesame seeds on the stove and blending them with olive oil. It's very easy, and cheap. But it was messy. My blender looked like a Jackson Pollock when I was through, but the hummus was worth it. I think it would be great with some sundried tomato or herbs blended in, this is just the basic recipe.

1/3 cup tahini
juice from 2 whole lemons, or about 1/3 cup
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3-4 large cloves garlic
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Blend the tahini, lemon juice and chopped garlic to a creamy consistency first. Then add the chick peas in small increments until the texture is light and fluffy; thin with a small amount of water if needed. Serve with olives and pita bread or carrot sticks. It's also really good with Nanami Togarashi (Japanese 7 Spice) sprinkled on top, though paprika is what's pictured.
Tomorrow, a special guest appearance from Scott, who demonstrates fantastic leftover cookery!

No comments:
Post a Comment