Monday, May 18, 2009

Pico de Gallo

I love pico de gallo, and it just occured to me last night that I've been doing myself a disservice relying on the restaurant industry to dish out my fix of this delicious Mexican condiment. I had to run out for some jalapenos and cilantro, but that's not such a bad errand.

2 roma tomatoes, chopped
1/2 a small yellow onion, chopped
1 small jalepeno pepper, seeded and chopped fine
1/2 packed tsp. chopped cilantro
1-2 tsp white vinegar
dried garlic to taste (fresh may overpower other flavors)
squeeze of lime
salt and freshly ground pepper

It takes five minutes to throw everything together in a bowl and stir it up. The final flavor boasts that more-than-the-sum-of-it's-parts quality that is so swoon-inducing. For a great lunch, heap pico de gallo into pan-softened corn tortillas with some black beans, fat slices of avocado, and green Tabasco.

No comments: