Monday, June 22, 2009

From Scratch Chunky Tomato Sauce

Hi, I'm back! And I'm back to eating solid foods.

I don't know about you, but I have a graveyard of half-empty jars of tomato sauce in the back of my refrigerator. This one-off sauce tastes much fresher than storebought, and doesn't condemn you to a week of spagetti dinners. Enjoy it.



Oh, tomatoes- they're such little prom queens of flavor! Crazy delicious on top of steamed carrots and asparagus.

1 whole ripe tomato
olive oil
1 Tbls vinegar
swirl agave nectar
Sriracha hot sauce
dried garlic
dried basil
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Quarter the tomato and place in a pan drizzled with olive oil. Roast in a 375 oven for 15-20 minutes, until soft. Scrape tomato pieces into a pyrex bowl and mash with a fork; it should be very juicy. Add vinegar, hot sauce and spices and continue to mash to desired consistency. You could use a blender or food processor to get it really smooth, but I prefer less cleanup. Pour sauce over whatever makes you happy.

No comments: