Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 11

I never cooked a meal for fourteen people before yesterday. It's not easy! I'd originally assumed it would be, since I've scaled up dishes for potlucks and whipped up party snacks plenty of times. But food meant as a potluck side-dish, or something to nosh while you're flirting with a cute party-goer, is kid stuff compared to making enough food to fill more than a dozen plates for America's biggest meal of the day. Luckily I love the kitchen :)

Some of my cooking quantities:
51 lazy pierogies: 9 eggs, 3 pounds ricotta cheese, 6 cups flour
12 tomatoes
6 onions, slivered(TEARS)
6 apples
6 English cucumbers

Despite ringing the dinner bell half an hour later than I'd planned, everything turned out fine. I succeeded in making a fresh, healthy, meatless Polish feast.

Thanks to all my classmates for bringing wine, vodka, extra chairs for my little living room, and their appetites.

At the end of the night, I fell off the sugar-free wagon and ate a couple of really yummy brownies. I decided I deserved it, and I did. Now I get back on the wagon.

4/13/10
• GS: SPINACH, 1 banana, cantaloupe w/seeds
• spoonful PB
• all-day grazing and ingredient snitching: cucumber slices/sour cream, puffed kamut, spicy pumpkin seeds, homemade sauerkraut, mini lara bar, plantain chips
• Polish Feast: WW leniwe pierogies w/caramelized onions, mizeria (cucumbers, dill, sour cream), Polish tomato salad (tomatoes, scallions, lemon juice, raw onions), homemade sauerkraut, apples and cinnamon
• brownies!! Woops!

No comments: